Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Adventures in Glennallen

After a good week of work, Jon and I headed down to Glennallen on Friday night. It was a long drive with temps about -20 when we left north pole and reaching -30 in Delta. Just south of there, it started snowing and didn't stop until we were almost in Glennallen. When we got into Glennallen, around 1230am, we were treated to some BEAUTIFUL northern lights in the sky! Mostly just green but so beautiful. One of my favorite parts about living in Alaska.

Saturday, we got up in time to go see the start of the Copper River 300, a qualifying dog sled race for the Iditarod. There were 26 teams, each with 12 dogs. Do that math and you'll see that it was quite the race start! We got to see most of the teams depart and then drove up the road to see them cross over the frozen Gulkana River. The race ended on Tuesday morning, after teams spent 10-15 hours in the -10 to -30 temps. That is dedication!!


me and Jon overlooking the Copper River valley, scouting for sled teams


the start of the race. each of the doggies have little booties to keep their paws warm!



one of the racers, waving to us as he races over the frozen river


the dogs are all beautiful and they LOVE running!!!

After spending Saturday with friends, we went to church on Sunday and then Jon headed back to North Pole. Since then, he has been working and I've been volunteering at Cross Road Medical Center. It is the clinic where I used to work and I'm finishing up my third nightshift. I had very few patients but I enjoyed being back for a visit. My friend, Davanea, will be taking me home this morning and I am anxious to sleep through the 4 hour drive home! Hopefully we see some moose, but we hope they are WAY off the road!! Please pray for safety as we travel!!

I have two specific prayer requests to share. First of all, my grandfather (Wibur Sites) has been in the hospital for about a week with heart, lung and kidney problems. He is looking to have surgery please continue to pray for Natalie. For more information, you can check out her mom's journal update at: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/nataliehand

Thanks for the prayer requests. Will continue to update as much as possible. Psalm 36:7

No comments: